Disposable Diapers Kill Family Dog

This is a note, shared this morning, from a fellow cloth diaper retailer.  

Just want to share more of the danger of disposables….

One more reason to use cloth!!! It has been a rough day here at our house. I have had Grace in disposable diapers the last two days while I did a thorough strip on my cloth. We had a disposable diaper sitting on our night stand in our room and yesterday while we were at work our dog tore it up and digested some of it.

Last night we noticed her bleeding from her mouth and though she bit her tongue. Cleaned her up and it seemed to have stopped. We woke up this morning to find her covered in blood and that she made a mess during the night all over our room. Took her to the vet to find out she did not have any cuts in her mouth. After lab work and an x-ray we discovered that the diaper she had gotten into the day before was expanding in her stomach and intestine and caused a blockage that was causing internal bleeding into her liver and kidneys and she had lost a lot of blood and was very weak.

After discussing her slim chances to being strong enough to have surgery and the slimmer chances of making in through the surgery we had to decide to have her put down this morning. It was a very hard day and not something we thought we would have to do to our dog who was very healthy just yesterday morning!!!! And remember this was not a dirty diaper that was left out. A clean diaper on the nightstand.

How many of us keep diapers there for during the night. Or in a diaper bag or diaper stacker etc where our pets could easily get to them! I always knew the chemicals in disposable diapers and chose cloth for this reason but never imagined the chemicals in one would kill my dog! Ugh time to head to bed. It has been a long stressful day.

This was a story posted as truth.  However, we are working to validate the evidence, without causing undue stress to the family.  We will post more info as we have it.

 

 

Hugs to the family that lost their precious family pet this morning.

Share

Comments

  1. Clara Moses says:

    Ladies, don’t forget that the same things the make disposable diapers absorbent are the same things in disposable menstral pads!

  2. Monique Mugg says:

    What is the actual source of this story, it has been circulating for awhile and no one seems to know of the original write, or who the family that this supposedly happened to.

    • Shannon says:

      The source of this story is directly from another retailer. Several of us are investigating the validity of the story, to the best of our ability. We’ll keep you posted as we have info. I did not include the brand of diapers in the post, as I don’t feel it would be fair to the company, until things are cleared up a bit more.

  3. Jenna says:

    Where is the link to this original post?

  4. Audra says:

    I am wondering about the bath goo that is becoming popular – it’s basically a colored version of the absorbent gel stuff in sposies. What if a child ingested some of that?!?

  5. Elizabeth says:

    I feel terrible for the dog and family for going through this HOWEVER, we cannot blame disposable diapers as a whole. Before anyone asks, yes, I cloth diaper at home and when we go swimming and use disposables when we’re running around and for the sitter. To say that ‘sposies are toxic is a bit of an exaggeration here. If a dog eats an entire cloth diaper, not just chews it but physically eats it, there will be a blockage, more than likely, as well. To use this in a scare tactic way, is really unfair. Of course a dog (or kid) will get sick from eating ANY diaper. No reason to use this family’s tragedy for a smear campaign of disposables.

  6. Confused? says:

    My daughter ate diaper insides once she crawled out of her crib and got into one. Checked the ingredients..called pampers, and poison control..Everything in it is completely safe to digest in any amount. Maybe because a dog works different, but they are NOT harmful to babies to ingest…I’m pro cloth by the way..Just don’t want people to think diapers are going to kill your kids.

  7. Shannon says:

    I’m not so sure that ingesting all or parts of a disposable diaper is a safe thing for anyone. http://www.diaperpin.com/clothdiapers/article_diaperdrama3.asp

  8. Remarkable piece of writing. Were did you obtained all the information from

    • Shannon says:

      Directly from a women that claimed this happened to her dog. Unfortunately, after the initial questions, I and several other have not gotten any further responses or answers. It IS a little frustrating.

  9. Cheryl says:

    Does anyone know exactly which brand of diaper this was? Or has there been any updated information found? Just curious ;)

    • Shannon says:

      I was given the brand name, but without further information and confirmation, I’m afraid I probably should disclose that information. I’m sorry. And I haven’t heard any thing more on the subject. It’s really quite frustrating.

  10. Good article. I definitely appreciate this website. Thanks!

  11. Oh wow, that sounds totally tremendous!

Speak Your Mind

*